Truck accidents have had tragic consequences in the Smyrna community over the years, extending far beyond just vehicle damage. If you were injured in a truck accident in which the other driver was acting negligently, you may qualify to seek compensation for other damages as well. The compensation awarded in a personal injury settlement addresses numerous hardships you may be facing after a truck accident, including:
- Medical expenses.
- Financial losses.
- Pain and suffering
If you are feeling unsure about your future after an accident case, a Smyrna truck accident lawyer from Ghai Law Firm can be there to help protect your right to compensation. Over the last 25 years, our firm has represented families affected by senseless accidents, including collisions. We have seen firsthand how dangerous trucks can be when people fail to follow the law and drive safely.
Here at Ghai Law Firm, we understand the kind of hardships you may be facing after a negligent truck accident. Through our legal services, we hope to help you look ahead to a brighter future. To learn more, contact a Ghai Law Firm representative today at (770) 792-1000 to receive your free consultation.
Alarming Facts About Negligent Truck Accidents
As reported by the Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS), there were over 4,200 large trucks involved in fatal accidents in 2016 nationwide. Georgia is no exception, as these tragic accidents are not unusual for our state.
According to data from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there were 179 fatalities related to large truck accidents in Georgia in 2016 alone. During the 10-year span between 2006 and 2016, nearly 2,000 truck accident victims were killed on Georgia roadways. Countless others are seriously injured each year. Injuries from accidents involving large trucks are often devastating, due to the added weight and size compared to passenger vehicles. Common injuries faced after such accidents include:
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs), including dislocated discs and whiplash.
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
- Broken and fractured bones.
- Internal bleeding and damage to various organs.
- Permanent disability, including paralysis and loss of a limb.
- Lacerations, burns, and severe bruising.
With millions of truck accidents resulting in property damage each year, these damages do not even factor in the debilitating financial losses victims face. When combined with medical costs and lost wages, the financial hardships you may take on can be life-changing.
You do not have to accept your losses and move on after falling victim to injustice. By taking legal action against the offenders, you may be able to recover the compensation you deserve.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Smyrna, call (770) 792-1000
Understanding Recoverable Damages in Truck Accident Cases
The State of Georgia has laws in place to protect you from negligence. As such, you have the ability to make claims for monetary, physical, and psychological damages you endure after an accident when another party is at fault.
Examples of potentially recoverable damages can include the following:
- Medical expenses: Covering surgeries, medications, ongoing care, and the cost of rehabilitation
- Property damage: Ranging from vehicle damage to broken electronics
- Long-term disabilities: Regarding your diminished income potential and the need for specialized accommodations to help you lead a normal life
- Mental anguish: Including compensation for disfigurements, strains on your mental health, and damaged personal relationships
- Lost wages: Addressing lost income immediately following the accident, in the present, and in the future
- Punitive damages: These are only granted in rare circumstances at the discretion of the court. As per O.C.G.A. § 51-12-5.1, punitive damages may only be awarded if the offender showed malice, willful misconduct, fraud, wantonness, oppression, or a blatant disregard for the consequences of their actions
Smyrna Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (770) 792-1000
Determining a Value for Your Case
In order to receive a settlement that reflects your pain and suffering, you will need to present ample evidence that proves the extent of your injuries and losses. Here at Ghai Law Firm, we want you to know that a Smyrna truck accident lawyer can help assign a value to your case by using a variety of methods. These methods include:
- Cataloging documentation of your injuries.
- Gathering evidence to support your losses.
- Calling upon expert investigations and testimony.
- Researching the causes of your accident.
- Presenting legal precedents.
- Multiplying your economic losses to reflect non-tangible damages.
For more information on how we calculate settlements in Smyrna, contact a Ghai Law Firm representative today to receive your free consultation at (770) 792-1000.
Truck Accident Lawyers Fighting for Your Right to Compensation
If you decide to retain a Smyrna truck accident lawyer with Ghai Law Firm, our base-level services involve offering legal guidance so you will not be caught off-guard by any unexpected roadblocks during your upcoming proceedings.
For example, if you wish to take legal action, you should note that O.C.G.A § 9-3-33 places a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims. Further, O.C.G.A. § 36-33-5 dictates that a claim against the City of Smyrna must be made within six months of the accident.
The State of Georgia has many unique rules governing personal injury law, which our firm works to stay on top of in order to best serve our clients. We aim to make your legal journey a bit less stressful with our services and support.
If you are confused about any aspect of your legal case, our team may be able to assist you. To get started with a free consultation, contact a Ghai Law Firm representative today at (770) 792-1000.