If you are asking yourself, “Is it worth getting a lawyer for a car accident?” you should first consider what you want to achieve with your claim. If you are looking to recover losses from a straightforward car accident with minor property damage or insignificant injuries, you may feel comfortable filing a claim on your own.
However, many victims who have experienced severe pain and suffering decide to retain a car accident lawyer. Hiring a lawyer allows them to hand their cases over to a legal professional, which may be especially helpful in complicated car accident cases. Car accident lawyers can offer you numerous legal services, which may include:
- Helping you prove liability.
- Providing legal counsel about relevant laws.
- Protecting you against unlawful practices during any civil litigation proceedings.
- Negotiating settlements.
- Cataloging your pain, suffering, and losses.
- Working to assign a value to your case.
- Reviewing insurance policies and addressing any discrepancies.
- Handling communication with other parties involved in your claim.
What to Expect From a Car Accident Settlement
The compensation you can receive from a car accident settlement may vary depending on various factors, including the severity of the collision and your resulting injuries and damages. Other circumstances that may affect your settlement can include:
- The amount of responsibility you had for your accident.
- Any caps placed on damages in your area.
- The amount of documentation you provide to support your claims.
- The minimum insurance requirements in your area.
- The amount of pain and suffering you face.
- Economic damages you have sustained from your accident.
The compensation you receive may also depend on whether you receive a settlement from the insurance provider or take your case to civil court.
How Long You Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Georgia
In accordance with O.C.G.A § 9-3-33, there is a general two-year statute of limitations on personal injury lawsuits in the state. However, the courts may extend this under certain circumstances.
Further, you may have significantly less time to file a claim if you wish to take legal action against a government entity in Georgia. As per O.C.G.A. § 50-21-26, there is a one-year statute of limitations on claims filed against the state itself. Claims filed against smaller government organizations may have an even shorter statute of limitations.
How A Lawyer Can Help Determine Liability in Your Car Accident Case
A car accident lawyer may use a variety of methods to prove liability in your case. Mainly, they will need to collect evidence that proves the other driver was at fault. This may include:
- Gathering eyewitness testimony.
- Obtaining copies of the police report.
- Having third-party organizations perform examinations on evidence left behind at the scene of the accident.
- Using medical documents to provide insights about your injuries.
- Calling upon relevant industry professionals to testify about the circumstances surrounding your accident, such as motor vehicle specialists and accident reconstruction experts.
- Examining statements made by the potentially liable parties.
- Reviewing any photos from the crash scene or video surveillance from the time of the accident.
- Referencing academic research or legal precedents related to your case.
Georgia Car Accident Lawyers Serving Victims and Their Families
If you decide to retain a car accident lawyer from Ghai Law Firm, we will carefully review your case and help you better understand your legal options moving forward. In doing so, we hope to help you decide if it is worth getting a lawyer for a car accident based on your unique situation.
Our firm has practiced personal injury law for over 25 years. Along the way, we have provided legal services to car accident victims and their families. Given our past work in Georgia’s civil court system, we hope we can offer you peace of mind after such a senseless act of negligence.
We practice in multiple areas of personal injury law that may directly relate to your case, including:
- DUI accidents.
- Large truck or commercial motor vehicle (CMV) accidents.
- Speeding accidents.
- Rear-end accidents.
- Reckless driving accidents.
- Left-hand turn accidents.
- Wrongful death.
At the end of the day, the Ghai Law Firm is here to help you have more faith in your case. Whether it is offering advice on state laws, helping you gather evidence, working on settlement negotiations, or anything in between, we want you to rest easy knowing a Ghai Law Firm attorney is in your corner.
To get started with your free consultation, contact a Ghai Law Firm representative today at (770) 792-1000. We will fight for your right to compensation.