Know Your Rights
Hit-and-run accidents can take a significant emotional toll on their victims, and tracking down the at-fault driver isn’t always easy. Having an experienced personal injury attorney fighting for your rights is critical to getting the legal outcome you deserve.
What is a hit-and-run accident?
In Georgia, any driver who’s involved in an accident that causes injury or death of another person or damage to another vehicle is obligated by law to take these specific steps:
- Stop at the scene of the accident or as close to the accident as possible.
- Provide his or her name, address and vehicle registration number and show a driver’s license when requested by the injured party.
- Provide assistance to the injured person, including arranging for transportation to a hospital or medical center for treatment when needed.
If the driver knows the accident occurred and doesn’t stop, he or she could be guilty of a felony or misdemeanor hit-and-run, depending on the extent of the damage the accident causes, and that could mean jail time, fines or both.
It’s obvious Georgia law takes hit-and-run accidents seriously, but while the law prescribes penalties for the at-fault driver’s behavior, it falls short of addressing the victim’s rights or the need for compensation. Those are typically issues left for the insurance companies to decide. And often, those decisions fall far short of the actual costs incurred as a result of the accident.
How to get the compensation you deserve
Depending on how serious the accident is, as a hit-and-run victim, you may be eligible for compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, vehicle repair costs, pain and suffering and other damages. But even if the other driver has valid insurance, recouping the damages you’re owed can be difficult unless you have an experienced Kennesaw car wreck attorney.
As a leading injury attorney in Kennesaw, Roger Ghai understands how to make sure accident victims’ rights are fairly and aggressively represented. Ghai and his staff have the resources to pursue cases so victims feel empowered and confident throughout the legal process. Each case is handled based on the unique needs of the individual victim, an approach that’s helped the Ghai law firm become recognized as a top injury lawyer in Kennesaw and throughout Cobb County.
What to do following a hit-and-run accident
Here’s what you should do in the minutes immediately following a hit-and-run accident to help protect yourself as well:
- Do not follow the at-fault driver; he or she may be dangerous.
- If your vehicle is in the roadway, leave the vehicle and move to an area of safety.
- Call 911 immediately.
- Write down everything you can remember about the vehicle including type, plate number if you noticed it, color and number of doors.
- Ask witnesses or information about what they saw.
- Take pictures if you can and do what you can to preserve the accident scene.
Call us today.
A hit-and-run accident can be devastating to you and to your loved ones, and having an experienced injury lawyer from the Kennesaw area to skillfully represent your needs is a critical part of protecting your rights. If you’ve been involved in a hit-and-run accident or any type of car accident, call the Law Offices of Roger Ghai today at (770) 792-1000.