Car accident settlements generally range from $15,000 to $30,000 around the United States. However, this range is only an estimated average. Minor accidents may result in substantially smaller settlements, while more serious cases can result in much higher settlements. When asking yourself, “How much is a car accident settlement?” there are many aspects that can affect your settlement amount, including:
- Insurance requirements in your state.
- The extent of your financial, physical, and intangible losses from the accident.
- Caps placed on non-economic and punitive damages in your state.
- Whether you choose to bring your case to civil court or file with an insurance company.
- The amount of liability you displayed in your accident.
Georgia Auto Insurance Requirements
According to the Georgia Office of Insurance and Fire Safety Commissioner, the minimum limits on liability coverage include:
- Bodily injury liability of $25,000 per person.
- A total liability of $50,000 in accidents involving two or more people.
- Property damages liability of $25,000 for each event.
For a free legal consultation, call (770) 792-1000
Award Limits for Damages in Georgia Car Accident Cases
For compensatory damages, including both economic and non-economic damages, the State of Georgia does not place any caps on compensation. As these are the most commonly awarded damages, this is good news for accident victims who have suffered severe losses.
However, in accordance with state law O.C.G.A. § 51-12-5.1, there is a $250,000 limit placed on punitive damages. Further, 75% of any punitive damages you receive will be paid into the state treasury.
Taking Legal Action for a Car Accident
You can file a claim against a single driver, a trucking or maintenance company, an insurance provider, or a government entity in Georgia.
However, there are statutes of limitations that govern personal injury lawsuits, which vary depending on the party you are filing a claim against. These statutes include:
- O.C.G.A § 9-3-33, establishing a two-year statute of limitations on general personal injury claims against non-government entities.
- O.C.G.A. § 36-33-5, dictating a six-month statute of limitations on claims filed against cities.
- O.C.G.A. § 36-11-1, detailing a one-year statute of limitations on claims filed against counties.
- O.C.G.A. § 50-21-26, placing a one-year statute of limitations on claims filed against the State of Georgia
Services Available From Car Accident Lawyers
While certain car accident attorneys specialize in certain areas of the law, the services offered typically encompass everything from general legal advice and civil litigation services to gathering evidence and negotiating with insurance companies.
Other services provided by car accident attorneys can include, but may not be limited to:
- Attempting to prove liability.
- Offering counsel regarding personal injury laws.
- Assigning case values.
- Examining insurance policies.
- Utilizing the knowledge and testimony of expert witnesses.
- Communicating with parties on the other side of the claim.
- Addressing false claims made in civil court.
- Settlement negotiations.
- Documenting losses.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Georgia Car Accident Lawyers Protecting Your Right to Compensation
Here at the Ghai Law Firm, we want car accident victims to feel confident in their legal proceedings. While our firm cannot guarantee that you will receive compensation for your accident, we will do everything in our power to protect your rights under Georgia law. That includes making sure to document your pain and suffering properly during any potential legal proceedings, among other services we provide at our firm.
If you are asking yourself, “How much is a car accident settlement?” we can help you calculate a fair award for your particular case and negotiate on your behalf. Additionally, we may choose to multiply your economic losses, so your settlement better reflects the full extent of your hardships.
Over the past 25 years, our firm has represented countless personal injury cases, including those involving:
- Car and truck accidents.
- Slip and falls.
- Medical malpractice.
- Defective drugs.
- Dog bites.
- Wrongful death.
To better serve your unique needs, we also represent victims in many different types of car accident cases, including:
- Speeding accidents.
- DUI accidents.
- Left-hand turn accidents.
- Rear-end accidents.
- Reckless driving accidents.
Ghai Law Firm hopes to take unneeded stress out of your legal proceedings. We will work on your case while you focus on getting back to the life you love.
To learn more about our car accident legal services, contact a Ghai Law Firm representative today at (770) 792-1000 to receive your free consultation.