Whether you were involved in a car accident, slipped and fell in the grocery store, or were bitten by a dog, a personal injury accident can happen at any time. Most people also do not see these accidents coming and often do not know what steps they should take next.
If your accident was caused by the negligence of another party, you have the right to hold them responsible for your injuries. A Marietta personal injury lawyer can investigate your accident, collecting evidence, and building a strong case to pursue damages.
The team at Ghai Law Firm works on many cases like these, and we are proud of the results we achieve for our clients. We understand the types of evidence to look for and are not afraid to go up against the insurance company in order to stand up for your rights. For a free, no-risk review of your personal injury claim, contact the Ghai Law Firm today at (770) 792-1000.
Common Types of Personal Injury Accidents
There are a wide number of possible accidents that can result in a personal injury claim, including:
- Motor vehicle accidents: car, truck, and bus accidents happen every day across the country. According to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, distraction by phone is a major cause of collisions in the state. However, drunk driving, speeding, and other forms of distraction are also major factors.
- Product liability: a manufacturer is responsible for producing products that are safe and free from defects. Additionally, the manufacturer is responsible for communicating to consumers all latent dangers for using the product.
- Dog bites: while only one in five dog bite victims requires medical treatments, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), any bite creates a possibility of infection and disease, even if the bite itself is not severe.
- Medical malpractice: according to a Johns Hopkins University study, 9.5 percent of all deaths each year are the result of medical errors, making it the third-leading cause of death in the country.
- Slip and fall accidents: falling accidents are extremely common, particularly among older generations. In fact, falls are the number one cause of injury and death among adults aged 65 and older. While these falls are often purely accidental, if a negligent party contributed to or caused the fall, they may be liable for the injuries.
A Marietta personal injury lawyer can examine your case and explain what options you have for recovering compensation. For a free consultation, contact the Ghai Law Firm today at (770) 792-1000.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Marietta, call (770) 792-1000
Laws That Could Impact Your Claim
There are two laws in the state of Georgia that could potentially impact your claim: the statute of limitations and the modified comparative fault.
Statute of Limitations
A statute of limitations is a deadline to file a lawsuit. According to the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (O.C.G.A.) § 9-3-33, there is a two-year limit for personal injury accident claims. If you do not pursue compensation within the two years from the date your personal accident injury occurred, you are typically barred from recovering any compensation.
Modified Comparative Negligence
Per O.C.G.A. § 51-11-7, Georgia follows a modified comparative fault and has a 50% fault threshold. Modified comparative negligence is a legal principle that is used to allocate damages when multiple parties are responsible for a collision. You can recover damages for your accident as long as you are less than 50% responsible. However, any compensation would be reduced by the degree to which you were liable.
Marietta Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (770) 792-1000
Possible Recoverable Damages
The types of damages that you could recover after a personal injury accident will depend on the details of your case, such as the severity and permanency of your injuries. Some common types of damages in a personal injury accident case include:
- Medical costs, like medications, doctor’s examinations, physical therapy, and surgical procedures
- Assistive devices, like wheelchairs and walkers
- Disfigurement or dismemberment
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
- Past and future wages, including loss of earning potential
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
If your loved one did not survive the accident or died later because of the severity of his or her injuries, you have the right to pursue damages in a wrongful death claim. Some possible types of recoverable damages in this type of claim could include:
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of support and protection
While these are not common, they are possible. Punitive damages are typically awarded in cases where the defendant’s behavior was found to be particularly egregious. You hear about these types of damages being awarded in cases involving drug manufacturers, for example.
A Marietta Personal Injury Lawyer Is Here for You
If you are hurt because of a personal injury accident, you may be in pain and overwhelmed at the very idea of pursuing damages to recover your losses. However, that money can make it easier to pay your medical bills and cover the cost of any property damage you sustained in the accident. Plus, a personal injury lawyer can help guide you through the process every step of the way, taking the burden off you and standing up for your rights.
Some specific ways we can help are by:
- Investigating your accident and collecting evidence, like police reports, video surveillance, and witness statements
- Speaking with your doctors and examining your medical records to understand how your injuries will impact your future quality of life
- Calculating the full value of your case
- Communicating with all parties on your behalf
- Negotiating for a fair settlement
- Fighting for your rights at trial if we cannot reach a fair settlement
You do not have to go through this alone. The team at the Ghai Law Firm is here to help. For a free, no-risk evaluation of your case, contact the Ghai Law Firm today at (770) 792-1000.