Being injured by the reckless or careless behavior of another person can be overwhelming. You may find yourself suffering and in pain, unable to work, yet needing money to pay for your medical expenses and living costs.
If this sounds familiar, you are not alone. A Smyrna personal injury lawyer can investigate your accident and gather evidence to pursue compensation to the fullest extent of your injuries. A lawyer will go against the insurance companies in an effort to stand up for your rights.
The team at the Ghai Law Firm works on many personal injury accident cases, and we can help through the process from start to finish, easing the stress you are likely experiencing because of your accident. For a free review of your case, contact the Ghai Law Firm today at (770) 792-1000.
Examples of Personal Injury Accident Cases
There are many types of accidents that could be caused by the negligence of a third party, including:
While we like to think that we are always in the best care with our doctor, sometimes mistakes are made. According to Johns Hopkins University patient safety experts, medical errors are the third-leading cause of death in the U.S. behind heart disease and cancer. Medical errors can include mistakes with patient diagnosis, improper treatment, or a failure to disclose treatment risks.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one in five people bitten by a dog requires medical attention to tend to their wound. While the bite itself is not always severe, dog bites can sometimes lead to dangerous infections or diseases that could have far-reaching consequences.
Manufacturers are supposed to provide consumers with products that are free from defects. However, that does not always happen. In general, there are three types of defects: design, manufacturing, and marketing. A design defect would affect every product that the manufacturer released, while a manufacturing defect generally only affects a few. A marketing defect occurs when the manufacturer does not communicate to consumers about latent dangers for the product or does not provide proper instruction for how to use it.
Car accidents are one of the most common types of personal injury accidents. These accidents are commonly caused by driver distraction, speeding, alcohol consumption, driver fatigue, and other negligent behaviors.
These are just a few of the many types of accidents that someone could experience, leading to a personal injury claim. If you are suffering because of another person’s negligence, a Smyrna personal injury lawyer can help you hold them liable for their actions. For your free, no-obligation case review, contact the Ghai Law Firm today at (770) 792-1000.
For a free legal consultation with a personal injury lawyer serving Smyrna, call (770) 792-1000
Determining Liability After a Personal Injury Accident
There are four elements that must exist in every personal injury accident case to prove negligence:
- Duty of care: the first thing you must prove is that the defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care. A duty of care automatically exists between motorists in car accident cases, for example. However, in medical malpractice cases, you must show that a doctor-patient relationship existed.
- Breach of duty: next, you must prove that the defendant breached their duty of care by behaving in a way that another person of the same training and experience would not have done.
- Causation: now you must connect the breach of the duty to the accident.
- Damages: finally, you must be able to show that the accident left you, the plaintiff, with injuries and losses. These could include medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, or property damage.
Smyrna Personal Injury Lawyer Near Me (770) 792-1000
How the Statute of Limitations Could Impact Your Case
While it would be wonderful if you had an unlimited amount of time to decide if you want to pursue damages after a personal injury accident, that just is not the case. Every state has a statute of limitations in place, imposing a limit on the amount of time that a plaintiff has to file a claim after an accident.
Per the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (O.C.G.A.) § 9-3-33, there is a two-year limit for personal injury accidents. If you fail to file your claim within two years from the date of your accident, you are typically barred from recovering any compensation to cover your losses.
Click to contact our Areas We Serve today
Types of Recoverable Damages
There are many types of damages you could potentially recover after a personal injury accident. The types of recoverable damages will ultimately depend on the details of your case, such as the severity of your injuries and the extent of your financial losses. Some common types of recoverable damages for cases like these include:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Future wages
- Medical costs, like hospital stays, surgical procedures, doctor’s examinations, and medication
- Medical care devices, like walkers and wheelchairs
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket costs
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Ghai Law Firm Is Here for You
At the Ghai Law Firm, we understand how overwhelming these cases can be, especially if you are still healing from your injuries. A Smyrna personal injury lawyer can help by:
- Investigating your accident and gathering information, like witness statements, police reports, and video surveillance
- Communicating with all relevant parties on your behalf
- Answering your questions, offering legal guidance, and guiding you through the claims process
- Obtaining copies of your medical records, bills, and receipts
- Calculating the full value of your case
- Negotiating for a fair settlement
- Taking your case to trial and fighting for your rights if an agreeable settlement cannot be reached
You do not have to go through this alone. If you are ready to have us get to work on your case or would like to take advantage of our free case review, contact the Ghai Law Firm today at (770) 792-1000.
Call or text (770) 792-1000 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form